We had a great time in Alaska with Erik & Brittany. Here are some photos of all the great things that we did. We took a road trip down to Homer where Mike and Erik went halibut fishing. I'll have to get some of those pictures off the other camera, but they had a great time and we were able to bring home over 20 pounds of halibut. We've already had two halibut dinners. Yummy!
In Homer by a wooden fisherman and his halibut.
Britt & Erik in a crab cage. This is from Time Bandit, one of the boats on "Deadliest Catch."
Me and Brittany
The scenery was amazing.
We drove from Homer to Seward and were able to go on a six hour wildlife and glacier boat cruise. The ride started out really rough...we thought Erik was going to have to use the vomit bag, but he survived. The waters eventually calmed and we were able to see some amazing things. We stopped to see this glacier. It was 300 feet tall and half a mile wide. It was "calving" so we could hear the glacier moaning and popping and then chunks would fall off the front into the water. It was amazing.
I really wanted to see some whales. Toward the end of our tour, we came across a family of Orca "Killer" whales. It was incredible. It was really hard to get good pictures, so I mostly took video, but here's one photo to show you we actually saw them.
Our spot inside the boat. It was nice to have a table. The boys & Brittany played several games of Backgammon. We would run outside whenever they announced that there was something good to see.
Britt and me again. It was so much fun to experience Alaska with them.
One day we went to a shooting range. Mike has never shot a gun and he really wanted to. It wasn't too thrilling for me, but I gave it a try. Is shooting a recommended activity for a pregnant woman? Mike likes this shot because you can see the shell coming out of the gun.
I think I usually had my eyes closed. Oops!
Check out the target.
Nice form Britt! She was a really good shot.
After shooting, the boys went into this pond to collect disc golf discs that had gone astray into the water. The water was really cold, but they walked around in the muck feeling for discs with their feet. It was always a celebration when a disc was found. The third guy in the picture is Tim, one of E & B's friends.
In the end, they came up with 27 discs.
Then they had to divide up the discs. Each one taking his turn.
Another fun thing was that we were able to spend an evening with Suzanne's parents. They cooked us a delicious dinner and a tour of their amazing house. There were actually two tours...a girls tour which looked at all the rooms of the house and a boys tour that talked about all the construction aspects of the house. Their tour was about four times as long as ours. Thanks so much for a great night.
Erik & Brittany, thank you for a great trip. Start planning for next summer!

I am glad you had so much fun. What an great experience - though I think I could have dne without the halibut. Just think about it - in a few months we will be seeing baby pictures on here!
ReplyDeletewe're coming next summer! :)
ReplyDelete